Penang Batik Factory is one of the pioneers of batik manufacturing on the island. Established in 1973 by Craft Batik Sdn Bhd, it is set in Teluk Bahang, a short walk away from the Penang Botanic Gardens. The complex is divided into three sections: an art gallery, boutique and workshop.
Surrounded by lots of tropical greenery, it is one of Penang’s well known sightseeing spots and offers a wide variety of quality batik, from block prints batiks to hand-drawn pieces. At the Penang Batik Factory, unlike the usual one-sided print, each piece features patterns and colours on both sides of the fabric: the complex provides free, guided daily tours.
- Traditional English Afternoon Tea at the Eastern & Oriental Hotel
- City Half-Day Tour
- EZhopper Sightseeing Bus Pass
- Georgetown by Night Tour
- Island Half-Day Tour
- Private Penang Hill & Temple
- Heritage Trishaw Tour
- Private Penang Hill & High Tea at David Brown's Restaurant
- Botanic Gardens & Tropical Spice Garden Tour
- Penang Hill & Kek Lok Si Temple Tour
Layout of Penang Batik Factory
Batik art, ranging in size from small portraits to huge tapestries, made at the Penang Batik Factory are first displayed at the Art Gallery. Available for sale, these pieces can cost up to several thousand ringgits each and are created by some of the country’s most renowned batik artists.
Visitors looking to buy batik clothing can look around the Boutique, where batik-print men's dress shirts, sarongs, scarves and more (even haute couture gowns!) can be found. Meanwhile the Workshop is an open-air annex beside the Boutique where you can see artists drawing, colouring and stamping batik patterns on fabrics. It is quite a sight to see, with each artist specialising in a particular product, from sarongs to shirts: an artist can produce about ten metres of fabric a day.
Penang Batik Factory
- Opening Hours: 09:00 – 17:30
- Address: 669m, Mk. 2, Teluk Bahang 11050 Penang
- Tel: +604 885 1284 or +604 885 1858 0r +604 885 1302