What to Do at Night in Georgetown
Nightlife is a happening affair in Georgetown. As night falls, people would be thronging the streets to let their hair down at a pub or a nightclub, particularly along the stretch of Jalan Penang from Cititel Hotel and to where it intersects with Lebuh Farquhar.
Some of Georgetown’s best-known pubs and bars are located within hotels, particularly along or around Jalan Penang.
- Penang Temple & Night Market Tour
- Penang Round Island Tour
- Penang Hill & Temple Tour (4 Seats)
- Penang Half Day Experience
- Penang Night Tour by Sedan Car
- Heritage Tour + Trishaw Ride + Night Market Tour (7-8 Hours)
- Pulau Payar Marine Park (From Penang)
- Jungle Walk with BBQ @ Penang National Park
- Jungle Walk @ Penang National Park
- Sunset Penang Cruise
Upper Penang Road
Situated at the beginning of Jalan Penang, right in front of the historical Eastern & Oriental Hotel, Upper Penang Road is considered the centre of Georgetown’s nightlife. Most popular with expats and Westerners, this major party zone is filled with pubs and nightclubs that come alive with neon lights and thumping music come nighttime, with chairs spilling out onto the pavement for drinking sessions out in the open and the Eastern & Oriental Hotel glowing ethereally in the background.
NOTICE: F.A.M.E is now closed for business.
Proudly proclaiming to have the best Ladies Night in the country, F.A.M.E (Fashion Art Music Entertainment) is the perfect place to see and be seen. Formerly known as Glo, the super-club definitely lives up to its brazen title and if you’re looking for a place to dance till dawn and rub shoulders with yuppies and women in barely-there dresses, it’s the place to head to. With live shows, guest DJs, loud bass, neon lights and a large dance floor, the smoke-filled club has a reputation as a meat market.
- Opening Hours: 17:30 - 02:30
- Location: At The Garage, 2 Penang Road
- Tel: +604 261 1045
Serving decent food and drinks at surprisingly affordable prices, Farquhar’s Bar is considered by some to be the best bar you can find in Georgetown. A colonial-style hotel bar serving beer, cocktails, a selection of non-alcoholic drinks and delicious pub dinners, its signature drink, the Eastern & Oriental Sling, is something not to be missed.
- Opening Hours: Daily, 11:00 – 23:00
- Address: Eastern & Oriental Hotel, 10 Lebuh Farquhar
- Tel: (604) 222 2000 ext. 3177
Housed in a stately white colonial-style building, Mois sets the beat for a happening party weekend. Catering to the younger crowd, the always-crowded club features guest deejays every Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, and live performances from guest bands. There is also a bar outside right next to the entrance, where you can chill out in the open with a couple of beers while watching live sports coverage on the television. It’s free to enter before 22:00.
- Opening Hours: Daily, 17:30 – 02:30
- Address: No. 1 Upper Penang Road
Combining the exotic senses of the Middle East with a delectable twist of Mediterranean hospitality, the award-winning Momo is divided into several trendy areas. Five bars are located around the club, so that a drink and a dance are at guests’ convenience.
- Opening Hours: Tuesday - Sunday 21:00 – 03:00 (club), 18:00 – 02:00 (bar & al fresco dining), 18:00 – 20:00 (happy hours). Closed on Mondays for private functions.
- Address: The Bungalow, Upper Penang Road
Well-known among avid party-goers, Slippery Senorita has been the rage in Penang since it first opened in 2001. This premier Latin dance club is a classy establishment that is more about style than sleaze. Featuring live bands and resident deejays, it is worth coming here just to witness the bartenders showing off their flaring skills – flipping bottles, flames and glasses skillfully – and perform amusing tricks with cards, fruits and napkins. Read More...
- Opening Hours: Daily, 11:00 – 03:00
- Address: Lot B3A, The Garage, No. 2 Upper Penang Road
- Tel: (604) 263 6868
Soi II Unplugged Bar & Restaurant
Situated next to Slippery Senorita, this restaurant cum bar serves premium beers such as SOL from Mexico and its most famous, Paulaner from Germany. A favourite chill-out haunt of the young crowd, this al fresco bistro also has live band entertainment on most nights.
- Opening Hours: Daily, 21:00 – Late
- Address: The Garage, Upper Penang Road
Having a cocktail high above the city and taking in spectacular views of Penang Island’s city centre just got easier with the launch of the first rooftop bar in Georgetown – Three Sixty Revolving Restaurant & Rooftop Bar. This cool elevated drinking joint tops the four-star Bayview Hotel Georgetown: a two-level penthouse lounge, the indoor level is home to a dining hall which does a slow 360-degree turn, while outside is an open-air lounge where you can plant yourself on modern white bucket armchairs and enjoy vistas that will leave you weak at the knees. Read More...
- Opening Hours: 16:00 – 01:00 Sunday – Thursday; 16:00 – 02:00 Friday, Saturday & eve of public holiday; 16:00 – 20:00 (Happy Hour)
- Address: 25A Lebuh Farquhar, 10200 Penang
- Tel: +604 2613 540 or +604 2633 161 (after 3pm)
Uptown Pub & Bistro
Characterised by a bright purple exterior that’s hard to miss, Uptown Pub & Bistro features nightly live performance with Chinese songs and Canto-pop on the menu. There’s a beer garden in the courtyard, where you can enjoy your beer out in the open.
- Opening Hours: Daily, 19:00 - Late
- Address: 20 Jalan Sultan Ahmad Shah (opposite the Shell station)
Other than Upper Penang Road, there are also other places where one can find small establishments serving cheap beers (the best thing is, hawker food is readily available here for you to enjoy your beer with).
Just after Upper Penang Street, between the junction where it meets Jalan Sultan Ahmad Shah and Cititel Hotel, there are also a number of pubs and bars along the road on both sides. They may not be as classy and trendy as the ones on Upper Penang Road, but they are almost always filled nevertheless.
Coco Island’s Traveller’s Corner
Fronting the Blue Diamond Hotel, Coco Island is a true traveler hang-out, populated by backpackers and foreigners. Beer and hard liquor are available here, as well as an extensive bar menu which includes an American breakfast and hawker’s delights at night.
- Opening Hours: Daily, 10:00 – 01:00
- Address: 273B Lebuh Chulia (next to Hong Pin Budget Hotel
- Tel: (604) 264 3608
Pitt Street Corner Bar
Wild West meets Little India in this charming, friendly little neighbourhood bar complete with a saloon-style swing doors. Perfect for chilling out with a cold beer on a sweltering day, accompanied by Bollywood song-and-dance on the wall-mounted TV screen.
- Opening Hours: Open all day
- Address: 94 Lebuh Pitt (corner of Jalan Masjid Kapitan Keling Street & Lebuh Gereja)
R & B Pub & Bistro
Part of the Merchant Hotel, this lively nightspot has live bands performing on most nights and is equipped with a dart board and a pool table. Yet, despite its casual and laid-back atmosphere, proper dressing is still required – sandals and shorts are a definite no-no. There’s also a karaoke lounge within.
- Opening Hours: Daily, 17:00 – 02:30
- Address: 1st floor, Merchant Hotel, 55 Jalan Penang
- Tel: (604) 262 2506
Marked by a giant spider hanging over its entrance, Rock World is one of Penang’s oldest nightspots. Liveliest during weekends, this discotheque has techno music blaring from its speakers, with local bands performing live every now and then.
- Opening Hours: Daily, 19:00 – 02:00
- Address: 1 Drury Lane (Off Lebuh Campbell)
- Tel: (604) 261 3168
Soho Free House Penang is a pub with a reputation as a long-standing institution in Georgetown, best-known for its all-day Happy Hour beer promotions. An old-school British pub with a friendly crowd of predominantly-expat locals, one of the best things about this place is that, when it is closing time, the doors get locked up but they will serve you all night, making you feel like part of the family.
A two-storey pub on Jalan Penang, the décor is unpretentious, with colonial heritage elements – think worn wood trellises, stained glass windows and lots of beer-themed paraphernalia on the walls. It is an understated look and, though the beer deals at Soho Free House Penang are a good reason to visit, the food certainly adds to the pleasure of a night here. Read More...
- Opening Hours: 12:00 – 24:00
- Address: 50A, Jalan Penang, Georgetown
- Tel: +604 263 3331
Best Selling Hotels In Georgetown