Some say Bora Bora Batu Ferringhi is a rising star in Penang’s restaurant scene. We’ll let you be the judge. There’s much to say about this beachside eatery – it’s got a good selection of beers, some draught and at low prices. The atmosphere at this Batu Ferringhi joint is not particularly posh – a comfortable blend of upscale and average Joe, Bora Bora Batu Ferringhi covers a long stretch of cemented pathway, with a parquet platform running in between that leads close to the edge of the beach. Gauzy white curtains, sleek black plastic chairs, Balinese-style divans, potted plants and paper lanterns complete its look.
Formerly known as Sunset Bistro (at Bayu Senja) the nightspot was ravaged by an arson attack in late January 2011 but owner, Melynda Soon, pulled together and relocated the bar to the Batu Ferringhi strip by the end of May the same year. Sporting coy Caribbean inclinations with a tropical hut-like roof, Bora Bora by Sunset is popular for romantic interludes – the atmosphere is relaxed and the daily happy hour really draws in the crowd. Patrons include a diverse range of locals, tourists and expats; be prepared for impromptu dance sessions.
- Traditional English Afternoon Tea at the Eastern & Oriental Hotel
- City Half-Day Tour
- EZhopper Sightseeing Bus Pass
- Georgetown by Night Tour
- Island Half-Day Tour
- Private Penang Hill & Temple
- Heritage Trishaw Tour
- Private Penang Hill & High Tea at David Brown's Restaurant
- Botanic Gardens & Tropical Spice Garden Tour
- Penang Hill & Kek Lok Si Temple Tour
The unique flavours of Penang cuisine are always a highlight of any trip to the island. Hawker fare is undoubtedly exceedingly compelling, not just for its low price tag but due to its flavoursome fusion of different local ingredients. However that’s not to say that upscale restaurants lose out to them – Penang’s food scene is so competitive that almost all eateries seem to boast excellent fare and Bora Bora Batu Ferringhi is no exception.
The menu mixes international standards with much-loved Asian dishes and you’ll be hard pressed to pick out your favourites. It’s not pocket-change worthy meals, but if you’re craving good food, great atmosphere and even better company then Bora Bora Batu Ferringhi is the place to head to. Meat portions are generous and the desserts generally leave you wanting more.
Bora Bora Batu Ferringhi
- Opening Hours: 12:00 – 01:00 Sunday – Thursday; 12:00 – 03:00 Friday, Saturday & eve of public holiday
- Location: Next door to Tarbush Lebanese Restaurant
- Address: Lot 415, Jalan Batu Ferringhi
- Tel: +6012 553 1313 or +019 682 6467
- Website: https://www.facebook.com/pg/boraborabysunset