Bali Hai Restaurant
Bali Hai Restaurant captures your attention not only with its catchy tagline (If it swims, we have it), but also with its huge and interesting array of fresh seafood. Lined up against a wall inside the restaurant are rows upon rows of aquariums housing live sea creatures, all waiting to be picked for dinner, including some truly exotic ones that could not be found in other parts of Malaysia such as giant Australian lobsters, Atlanta spider crabs, huge mantis prawns and geoducks. Don’t forget to try its best-selling cheese-baked lobster.
- Opening Hours: Daily, 20:00 - Late
- Address: 90A-90D, Gurney Drive
- Tel: (604) 228 8272
- Cuisine: Fresh seafood
Marked by colourful neon lights, Coffee Island is more than just your ordinary kopitiam. Featuring a large al fresco dining area, it is really quite a treat sipping your coffee in the open air under the stars, with the cool sea breeze as company. Equipped with WiFi, it serves a wide variety of hawker favourites, as well as an array of Oriental and Western dishes. The Ice Vietnam Coffee (which can be served either hot or cold) and the variety of toasts available are considered this café’s specialties.
- Opening Hours: Daily, 11:00 – 03:00 (kitchen open until 00:00)
- Address: 77 Gurney Drive
- Tel: (604) 227 2377
- Cuisine: Hawkers’ fare, Chinese, Continental.
Corner Club Restaurant
Corner Club Restaurant’s specialty is the piping hot dim sum served fresh from its kitchen on a daily basis, with fresh prawn dumpling and shark fin dumpling coming up tops on its list of highly-recommended dishes. Also available are ‘quickie’ lunch sets and a variety of other Oriental dishes.
- Opening Hours: Daily, 07:00 – 15:00 & 18:00 – 22:30
- Remarks: 55 Gurney Drive
- Tel: (604) 228 2888
- Cuisine: Dim Sum, Chinese
New Gurney Drive Food Court
Vastly gaining popularity over the years, the New Gurney Drive Food Court has taken over the original Gurney Drive Food Court as the new premier place for hawker fare. Populated by stalls selling all sorts of hawker delights from giant cuttlefish to wan tan mee, the food court is divided into two sections – a Halal section and a non-Halal section (the latter offering mainly Chinese cuisine). Open only in the evening from 6, this open-air food court is always teeming with people regardless of whether it is a weekday or a weekend. Best of all, the food available here are so cheap that you can afford to go to each stall and try everything that meet your fancy.
- Opening Hours: Daily, 18:00 - Late
- Location: At the other end of Gurney Drive (Persiaran Gurney), towards Bagan Jermal (near the roundabout and parallel to Jalan Khidmat)
- Cuisine: Hawker food such as char kuay teow, chee cheong fun, satay, wan tan mee, curry noodles, rojak pasembur and ikan bakar (grilled fish wrapped in banana leaf)
Serving a fine selection of sandwiches and toasts, Mr. Pot is the only establishment along Gurney Drive that is open around the clock. An assortment of cocktails and liquors are also available here, as well as an extensive menu which includes all-day healthy breakfast sets, weight-watcher snacks, oil-free dishes and comfort food.
- Opening Hours: Daily, 24 hours
- Address: 124C Gurney Drive
- Tel: (604) 228 8303
Sesame + Soy Restaurant
Sesame + Soy is a single restaurant featuring two concepts: Sesame caters to a fine dining clientele, while Soy directs its efforts to a casual-dining crowd. Set inside G Hotel, the simple, edgy and sophisticated restaurant was listed as one of the Malaysian Tatler’s Best Restaurants in 2011. Featuring contemporary furnishings and fixtures, it has an Read More...
- Opening Hours: 12:00 – 14:30; 19:00 – 22:00
- Address: G Hotel, 168A Persiaran Gurney, 10250 Penang
- Tel: +604 238 0000