Georgetown Restaurants & Dining
Where and What to Eat in Georgetown
Since Penang is synonymous with good food (eating also seems to be Penangites’ favourite pastime), there are many places where one can find a good concentration of hawker stalls and restaurants on the island, especially in Georgetown. Being Penang’s capital, it’s only natural that this city is also Penang’s food central, and foodies’ heaven.
Aside from posh-nosh and local-flavour restaurants lining its streets, some roads convert into exciting hawker centres come nightfall, forming a significant part of the lively night atmosphere in Georgetown. Many eateries here are open until the wee hours of the morning, with some even opening around the clock.
Other Restaurants in Georgetown
1885 is a fine-dining restaurant offering classic yet contemporary cuisine in an elegant setting. Set in the Eastern & Oriental Hotel, it was listed as one of the Best Restaurants in 2011 by the Malaysian Tatler. Classy and elegant, its creative cuisine is accompanied by a superb wine collection. Read More...
- Opening Hours: 14:00 – 17:00; 19:00 – 23:00
- Location: Eastern & Oriental Hotel
- Address: 10 Lebuh Farquhar, 10200 Penang.
- Tel: +604 222 2000
32 at the Mansion is a glorious recreation of an Anglo-Indian restaurant. A fine-dining experience located along Jalan Sultan Ahmad Shah in central Georgetown (the same row as Eastern & Oriental Hotel), this seaside manor is the perfect spot for a little Sunday socialising, or even an extra special night out with Cupid in tow.
Graceful and elegant, the restaurant has quite a few things going for it - the atmosphere is cosy, the service friendly and the decor as inviting as the colonial period it’s meant to reflect. However the food, which largely falls under either classic haute French cuisine or Asian, is the star of the show – Read More...
- Opening Hours: 12:00 – 15:00; 17:00 – 24:00
- Address: 32, Jalan Sultan Ahmad Shah, George Town, Penang
- Tel: +604 262 2232
NOTICE: Amelia Cafe is now closed.
Amelia Café is a small, quirky bistro run by a husband-and-wife team. Almost every conceivable surface is whimsically decorated: the walls, ceiling and each menu features colourful artwork while tables and shelves are covered with tiny trinkets that, thankfully, fall short of looking haphazard.
Raw and rustic, tiny Amelia Café restaurant is comprised of four tables and a counter that doubles as a dining bar and kitchen. Some may find it cluttered but the fantastic food (particularly the bacon bagels and pasta) more than makes up for its miniscule size. Read More...
- Address: No. 6, Armenian Street
- Tel: +6012 496 7838
Beach Blanket Babylon Bar & Bistro House restaurant is an upmarket lunchtime favourite with Penangites. Fronting the sea, it is set in a heritage mansion with beautifully manicured lawns along Jalan Sultan Ahmad Shah. Run by the owners of Bagan, the menu may be limited but the food is supremely good. Read More...
- Opening Hours: 12:00 – 24:00
- Location: Upper Penang Road
- Address: No. 32, Jalan Sultan Ahmad Shah, Georgetown
- Tel: +604 262 2232
Benvenuto Ristorante & Bar
Benvenuto may be primarily an Italian restaurant - so expect to find variations of Italian favourites - but don’t be surprised to find some local specialties here as well, the most popular being the fried chee cheong fun. A lively bar keeps the after-dinner crowd entertained well into the wee hours.
- Location: Upper Penang Road
- Type: Italian & local cuisine
- Address: 3C Upper Penang Road
- Tel: (604) 261 0200
Chez Nous Cafe Penang is a quirky coffee shop that easily proves that there is more to the latte scene than java. A great little place in a tucked away location along Lorong Seck Chuan in Georgetown, the kitchen splices together Belgian dishes with lots of international influences to create a dining experience that has quickly earned it a glowing reputation.
Housed in a refurbished, atmospheric Chinese storefront renovated from its once neglected state, the café’s interior design is simple yet quirky, with seats that are few in number but strong on comfort. Definitely worth visiting, Penang’s urban, trendy set stream through the doors, snapping away at the Instagram-friendly interior, Read More...
- Opening Hours: 18:00 – 23:00 Tuesday – Sunday
- Address: 17, Lorong Seck Chuan, Georgetown, Penang
- Tel: +604 261 3499
Chin’s Stylish Chinese Cuisine restaurant is the type of place that makes you expect the taste of the unusual. Utilising less oil and salt and employing a tantalizing blend of spices from all over the world, the textures and flavours of the food here make it a welcome addition to Penang’s culinary scene. Read More...
- Opening Hours: 18:00 – late
- Address: Tanjong City Marina, Church St Pier (Next to QE II), 8A Pengkalan Weld, 10300 Georgetown
- Tel: +604 261 2611
Tucked in a row of pre-war shophouses on Chulia Street is a cosy little cafe serving basic Italian dishes. It is said that nobody does freshly-baked pizza better than Ecco Café in this city. The pizza dough is made from scratch, resulting in a thin and crispy-at-the-edge base which just melts in your mouth. Its pasta, crème brulee and freshly-ground coffee are also worth sinking your teeth into.
- Opening Hours: Monday - Saturday 11:30 – 14:30 & 18:00 – 22:30
- Address: 402 Chulia Street
- Tel: (604) 262 3178
Housed in a 150-year-old building, Edelweiss Café serves fusion continental cuisine in an intimate and classic setting, Among its specialties are fat German Curry Pork Sausages and Cheese Fondue, which are considered a must-try by its regulars.
- Opening Hours: Tuesday – Saturday 11:30 – 15:00 & 18:30 – 22:00; Sunday 11:30 – 19:00, closed on Mondays.
- Location: beside Cheah Kongsi
- Address: 38 Armenian Street
- Tel: (604) 261 8935
Goh Swee Kee Teochew Restaurant
One of the longest-serving and most popular restaurants in Penang, Goh Swee Kee Restaurant specializes in teochew cuisine. With specialties such as braised goose meat, homemade fish balls and fried tofu with chive dip, its appeal lies in the quality and authenticity of its offerings, closely following traditional recipe that has been passed on for generations.
- Opening Hours: Daily, 11:00 – 14:30 & 19:00 – 22:00
- Location: Lebuh Kimberly
- Type: Teochew cuisine
- Address: 61 Lebuh Kimberly
- Tel: (604) 263 6932
Penang is perhaps most well-known for its hawker food. Some streets in Georgetown also double up as hawker centres - with some operating only at night - each with its own personality and appeal. For the best of local delights such as char kuay teow, assam laksa and rojak, head down to one of these streets– not only will you get great-tasting food, they are also so cheap you’d be tempted to try them all in one day!
- Opening Hours: The stalls are generally open from 19:00 to 02:00
- Location: Jalan Tun Syed Sheh Barakbah (The Esplanade), Lebuh Chulia, Lebuh Kimberley, Lebuh Cintra, Lorong Selamat (off Jalan Burmah), Jalan Macalister, New Lane (off Jalan Macalister), Jalan Pantai, Lebuh Pantai, Lebuh Presgrave.
- Type: char kuay teow, rojak pasembur, assam laksa, curry noodles (mee kari), chee cheong fun, prawn noodles, Hokkien noodles, Hainanese chicken rice, cendol, fried noodles
Hot Wok Nyonya Restaurant
With its striking, classic-looking façade, Hot Wok’s appeal lies not only in its looks, but also its offerings. Serving authentic nyonya (Straits Chinese) cuisine, the restaurant’s hot curry kapitan and ice-cold cendol are perfectly complement each other.
- Opening Hours: Daily, 11:00 – 15:00 & 18:00 – 23:00
- Location: Jalan Burmah
- Type: Nyonya cuisine
- Address: 124E – F, Jalan Burmah
- Tel: (604) 227 3368
Kebaya restaurant at Penang’s gorgeous Seven Terraces Hotel offers diners a true taste of Peranakan food without having to go too far out of town, or even break the bank. Located on Stewart Lane under the roof of one of the city’s prettiest Anglo-Chinese boutique hotels, it certainly has a certain historic feel and is popular with tourists who visit for its beautiful photograph-worthy interiors.
Since its opening, it has developed an excellent reputation for refined Baba-Nyonya food (with the kitchen placing strong emphasis on seasonal ingredients in its cooking), as well as its delightful décor and impeccable service. Read More...
- Opening Hours: 18:00 – 22:00
- Address: Seven Terraces, Lorong Stewart, Georgetown
- Tel: +604 264 2333 or +604 261 2862
Kek Seng Coffee Shop
Penang has many variations of cendol and you’ll find the best version at Kek Seng Restaurant. Founded in 1906, this kocha kopitiam (olden day coffee shop) has the usual array of hawker stalls – try the kway teow teng (flat rice soup noodles), asam laksa and loh bak (Chinese five-spice pork rolls). Nevertheless, hands down the best fare here is the cendol, durian flavoured ice cream and agar-agar jelly. It’s a little unusual but as the queues will attest, it’s supremely tasty.
- Opening Hours: 11:00 – 16:30
- Location: 382 – 384 Penang Road
- Cuisine: Chinese
- How to get there: Taxi or fiveminute walk from KOMTAR Tower
Macalister Mansion – a five-star boutique hotel, fine-dining restaurant, cafe, wine lounge and cigar den combo – is a subtle tribute to Penang’s rich colonial past and its colourful present. Resembling Gatsby’s mansion, the extensively-repurposed manor is the first Malaysian member of Design Hotel and was named after Colonel Norman Macalister, British Governor of Penang from 1808 to 1810. Read More...
- Opening Hours: The Den & The Cellar 17:00 – 01:00 Monday – Thursday & Sunday: 17:00 – 02:00 Friday & Saturday; Dining Room 19:00 – 23:00; Living Room 08:00 – 24:00
- Address: 228 Macalister Road, 10400 George Town, Penang
- Tel: +604 2283 888 0r +6012 632 7729
Mews Café Penang in Muntri Mews Hotel may look like a hip but traditional kopitiam (coffee shop), although its laidback ambiance reminds us heavily of an Australian beachside bistro for surfers. An unpretentious place alive with personality, at its heart this café is a proud and firmly-rooted local business, determined to champion the island’s fiercely-competitive culinary scene.
Subtly balancing the demands of heritage and modernity expertly, Mews Café is a place where both traditionalists and the young urban set are amply catered for, with the menu split into two categories – local and western. The cuisine is matched by the restaurant’s house red and white wine options and diners can Read More...
- Opening Hours: 07:00 – 23:00
- Address: Muntri Mews, 77, Jalan Muntri, Georgetown
- Tel: +604 263 5125
Nasi Kandar Line Clear
Don’t let the shabby exterior of this nasi kandar joint fool you. Reputedly one of the oldest surviving nasi kandar outlets in Penang, Nasi Kandar Line Clear started way back in 1947. With the perfect balance of spices in their curries, some have sworn their nasi kandar to be the best in the country.
- Opening Hours: Daily, 24 hours
- Location: In an alley at the junction of Lebuh Chulia & Jalan Penang (on the same side of Jalan Penang as Chowrasta Bazaar)
Opera Oriental Cuisine & Lifestyle Gallery
Beautifully-decorated with Buddha statues gracing the interior, giving a distinct zen-like atmosphere, the award-winning Opera serves fusion Oriental delights. Upstairs is a lifestyle gallery where figurines, art pieces and other decorative items are displayed for sale.
- Opening Hours: Monday – Saturday 12:00 – 15:00 & 18:00 – 23:00, Sundays 18:00 – 23:00
- Location: Upper Penang Road
- Type: Fushion Chinese
- Address: 3E Upper Penang Road
Passage Thru’ India
With a décor that is reminiscent of the Maharajah’s grandeur, Passage Thru’ India enchants any passerby with its colourful exterior. Go inside and you will find some of the best Indian offerings in town, from banana-leaf tandoori to banana lassi. On weekends, live traditional Indian music accompanies your meal.
- Opening Hours: Daily, 12:00 – 14:30 & 18:30 – 22:30
- Location: opposite Cheong Fatt Tze Mansion
- Address: 11A Leith Street
- Tel: (604) 262 4644
QEII is a posh, fine-dining restaurant that transforms into a buzzing, alfresco nightclub with vivacious house and dance music as the night progresses. Overlooking the marina and built on stilts over the water, it was opened in 1997 and was listed as one of Malaysian Tatler’s Best Restaurants in 2011. Read More...
- Opening Hours: 12:00 – late
- Address: Church Street Pier, 8A Pengkalan Weld, George Town
- Tel: +604 261 2126
A quaint little bakery shop stands out among the rustic shophouses on Chulia Street, named Rainforest Café. A heavenly aroma greets you as you walk in, coming from its delectable array of freshly-baked organic breads and bagels. This café is also equipped with WiFi, so that you can tell the folks back home how good the baked goods are while gorging on them.
- Opening Hours: Monday - Saturday 11:00 – 19:00
- Location: Lebuh Chulia
- Address: 300 Lebuh Chulia
Red Garden Food Paradise & Night Market
A huge food court with ample parking space, Red Garden has different stalls offering all kinds of cuisine, from local fare to foreign specialties. Located on the right side of Penang Road as you walk towards Upper Penang Road, the food court has the kind of ambience that is likened to the ones on Gurney Drive. There is also a little night market within selling souvenirs, clothing, accessories and local handicrafts. The nearest hotel is Cititel Hotel.
- Opening Hours: Daily, 20:00 - Late
- Location: Lebuh Leith
- Type: Local & international
- Address: 20 Lebuh Leith
Roti Canai Jalan Transfer
Also known as ‘Roti Canai Tepi Longkang’ (Paratha bread by the drain), Roti Canai Jalan Transfer (Transfer Road’s Paratha Bread) has a legendary reputation. Considered by many as the best roti canai in the world, you will soon find out that this is by no means an exaggeration once you get a taste of its infamous offering. It serves a variety of hot, thick and spicy curries with its roti canai, but the beef curry is said to be the best of the lot, which is extra hot and spicy with tender chunks of beef added in.
- Opening Hours: Daily, 06:30 – 00:00
- Location: Jalan Transfer (near Caltex petrol station & Jalan Ariffin)
- Type: Roti canai
Suffolk House is also called Penang’s first ‘Great House’. Similar to the Cheong Fatt Tze Mansion, it is one of Penang’s most important colonial heritage landmarks. An Anglo-Indian garden house, it is over 200 years old and is located beside the Malaysian-German Society on Jalan Ayer Itam. Read More...
- Address: 250, Jalan Ayer Itam, 10460 Georgetown
- Tel: +604 228 1109 or +604 228 3930
Sup Hameed Penang
Considered a national institution, Sup Hameed comes highly recommended to those visiting Penang for the first time. Specialising in – you’ve got it – soups, from the good old variety such as mutton soup and chicken soup to the more ‘exotic’ such as gearbox soup and torpedo soup, the secret lies in the tender meats and the thick, flavourful broth.
- Opening Hours: 24 hours daily
- Location: near Cititel Hotel, opposite Red Garden Food Paradise & Night Market
- Address: 48 Jalan Penang
- Tel: (604) 261 8007
That Little Wine Bar restaurant is proving that Penang’s reputation as the country’s premier destination for good food need not be confined to a roll call of hawker fare. Sophisticated yet inviting, locals just call it TLWB. Set on the quiet side street of Chow Thye, it comes highly recommended. Read More...
- Opening Hours: 17:00 – 24:00 Monday – Thursday; 17:00 – 01:00 Friday – Saturday
- Address: 54 Chow Thye Road, Penang
- Tel: +604 226 8182
Housed within a heritage building which was once the home of a prominent local tycoon, Yeap Chor Ee, The Sire is a museum cum restaurant with a rich history and rich flavours, with the fine-dining restaurant on the ground floor and the museum space on the upper floor. The beautiful interior filled with Peranakan treasures makes dining here a truly special experience. Read More...
- Opening Hours: Monday – Saturday 11:30 – 15:00 & 18:00 – 22:30, closed on Sundays
- Location: opposite the new Great Eastern building and across the road from Dewan Sri Pinang
- Address: 4 King Street
- Tel: (604) 264 5088/263 4359
Thirty Two at The Mansion
Occupying the newly-restored Leong Yin Kean heritage mansion, Thirty Two at The Mansion is an elegant fine-dining restaurant with a seaside setting. Spacious and stylish, an extensive drinks menu accompany its continental and fusion dishes which include the chef-recommended Pan-Seared Seafood Medley and the house specialty, Crab Laksa Lemak. A jazz band provides entertainment all night long every Friday and Saturday. A walking distance to Eastern & Oriental Hotel.
- Opening Hours: Daily, 12:00 – 15:00 & 19:00 – 00:00 (last orders 22:30)
- Location: Jalan Sultan Ahmad Shah
- Type: Continental, fusion
- Address: 32 Jalan Sultan Ahmad Shah
- Tel: (604) 262 2232
Western Spices Penang is a restaurant on Jalan Green Hall in Georgetown that has certainly gone on to cement its standing as one the island’s best places to eat in the last few years. A pioneer in this narrow laneway, proprietor Nick Lau heads the kitchen, and together with his team, puts out small plate continental selections that are quite tempting.
Diners will not find envelope-pushing cuisine, rather a menu of international flavours, from Mexican and Italian fare, to British steakhouse stalwarts and European flavours. Housed in a historic colonial Chinese storefront adjacent to the Penang Court, the combination of the kitchen’s offerings and atmosphere creates a dining experience that Read More...
- Opening Hours: 11:30 – 22:30
- Address: 1, Green Hall Road (off Light Street), Georgetown
- Tel: +604 2611 553